Like other top language schools, University of Pennsylvania offers a competitive selection of languages. More unique to the program is the Penn Language Center. Through the center, you can request a language tutor or become one yourself, and you can take proficiency assessments. In USA Welcome to Foreign-Language-Colleges.com, your friendly source of facts about foreign language schools in USA. With our site you will find contact information, majors availability, and diploma selection, as well as nationwide, regional, and state rankings, campus safety ratings, and lists of local competitors for 1,323 schools offering foreign language programs. Learn about Foreign Language study abroad! Use our reviews, articles, scholarships, and program matching services to find the best study abroad program. The QS World University Rankings by Subject are based upon academic reputation, employer reputation and research impact (click here to read the full methodology). Use the interactive table below to filter the rankings by location, and click on individual universities for more information. Registered users will also be able to use the site’s Compare function to see facts and statistics about. The University of California Berkeley is practically a United Nations of foreign language programs. In addition to the typical Romance languages (like French and Spanish) and German found in many colleges, Berkeley has departments dedicated to teaching East Asian, Scandinavian, and Slavic languages.
China's Language University
- China's best language university.
- The real leader in Chinese education since 1962.
- The only international university in China, and is highly respected.
- It has the longest history, the largest scope, and the most qualified teaching faculties of its kind in the area of teaching the Chinese language and culture to foreigners.
- International recognition for outstanding academic performance.
- Total immersion in the Chinese language.
- Affordable, accredited and quality Chinese language programs.
- Total Beginner to Proficient classes available.
- Short Term programs: 4 to 12 weeks.
- Long Term programs: Semester or Academic Year.
Study in BLCU
- One of the most international universities in China.
- It adjoins the famous Beijing CBD (Central Business District), easy to get a part time job.
- It is a university famous for tourism management.
- One of the first authorized HSK exam centers in Beijing.
- Two types of scholarship funded by Beijing Municipal Government and China National Government respectively.
- Everything on campus is well-prepared and teachers are very nice to students.
- The city is prosperous and has good communications.
- The university is in the downtown of the city, and it has easy access to metro and intercity commuting systems.
Study in BISU
- The first institution in China specializing in foreign language studies
- It placed 191 in the world in 2009 - QS Top Universities 2009 Ranking.
- It ranks No.1 in language teaching in China.
- From short-term and long-term Chinese program to English taught degree program.
- American-based business management curriculum, partnered with Chinese studies (Chinese language, Economics, cultures, laws and social studies).
- International student body with multi-cultural study and living environment.
- Learn from the vast knowledge and experience of international faculty from top universities around the world.
- For business students: Latest thinking - regular lectures and seminars by business leaders and visiting scholars.
Study in BFSU
- The university is an internationally recognized, prestigious academic institution.
- One of the Best 5 Universities in Shanghai for Chinese learning.
- Long-term Chinese programs: Semester or Academic Year.
- Summer programs and Winter Programs available.
- The university has the worldwide reputation in language training. The Graduate Institute of Interpretation and Translation (GIIT) of SISU is awarded the highest ranking by AIIC, the International Association of Conference Interpreters, as the only Asian university among the 15 top professional conference interpreting schools in the world.
- The university has established 7 Confucius Institutes in Asia, Africa, Europe and South America.
- World Class Facilities for Language training: A powerful digital audio-visual database containing multimedia resources in foreign studies has been set up to serve the needs of teaching and research. The University also houses a range of state-of-the-art teaching facilities including world-class simultaneous interpretation systems, satellite signal-receiving devices and linguistic laboratories.
- Highly respected by Russian students for the university was named as Shanghai Russian School in the beginning.
Study in SISU
SN Mandarin Chinese School, or South & North Mandarin, is named for the directions on a compass.Study in SN Mandarin
- Four curricula education levels including Bachelor, Double BA, Master and Doctor.
- Master’s degree of politics (first level discipline) is granted, and five second level disciplines are included, which are Chinese and Foreign Political System, International Relations, International Politics, Diplomacy, and Public Diplomacy.
- The only institute that arranged a master’s program of a second level discipline of public diplomacy on its own.
- The first institute that established diplomacy department in China and developed it into a distinctive specialty of state level.
- Advanced research on Chinese Issue Studies, Big Power Relations and Diplomacy, State and Regional Diplomacy, Public Diplomacy, UN and International Organizations, etc.
- A multilevel interdisciplinary teaching system based on practice with advantages in cultivating interdisciplinary and bilingual talents in fields of diplomacy and foreign affairs.
Study in BFSUSIRD
- All of teachers are full-time teachers with experience in teaching Chinese as a second language.
- In an all-Chinese speaking environment, students will be able to learn the true nuances of the Chinese language.
- Comprehensive course system & practical curriculum.
- Detailed and specific level, through a free Chinese proficiency test, teachers will design a personal study plan which will improve students' proficiency further.
- Shuoba! offer free online lessons for students, so they can review lessons at anytime of the day.
- Comprehensive and friendly service, including top-quality course consultants and support services.
- Regular feedback and evaluation to improve teaching quality.
- Periodic tests to ensure the students are progressing at the expected rate.
Study in SHUOBA
- The first women’s higher learning Institution in modern China.
- It offers programs exclusively for women.
- It founded by revolutionary veterans such as Madam Soong Ching Ling, He Xiangning, Cai Chang, Deng Yingchao and Kang Keqing.
Study in CWU
- Total 3 Pages
- 1Jiangsu University
- 2Southern University of Science and Technology
- 3China Medical University
- 4Zhejiang University of Science and Technology
- 5Wuhan University
- 6Southwest University of Science and Technology
- 7Capital Normal University
- 8Shenyang University of Chemical Technology
- 9Beijing Language and Culture University
- 10Changchun University of Science and Technology
Busted! Myths and Misconceptions About Language Learning
Straight Talk About Language Learning
HomeLanguage ProgramsCollege & University Programs
College & University Programs
Whether you intend to make languages your college major or would like to incorporate language skills into another concentration, this is the place to start. Search for a program in your desired language or geographic region, and then browse through some specialized programs offering interdisciplinary, career-focused, or professionally oriented courses.
Spotlight Program: Indiana University – Bloomington
Considering learning a less commonly taught language at college? In conjunction with their Center for Language Technology, more than 70 languages have been taught at IUB—including instruction in Bengali, Estonian, Lakota, Quechua, and Wolof. The Center supports three National Flagship Programs and two National Language Resource Centers.
Modern Language Association (MLA) Database
Looking for a college program? While initially developed to report language enrollment figures, the MLA database provides a comprehensive listing of postsecondary language programs, allowing you to refine your results by language, geographic area, and/or type of institution. The data is based on MLA’s most recent survey of 2013.
See All Results For This Question
To Get Started:
- Select your language(s), up to eight
- Narrow your search, as desired, and click “search now”
- Expand your findings to reveal specific schools offering programs in your language by clicking on the small triangles on your results page
Cultures and Languages Across the Curriculum (CLAC) & Foreign Language Across the Curriculum (FLAC)
In an effort to allow students to deepen their language proficiency while learning to apply it outside traditional language classes and in a real-world context, many colleges offer specially designed courses and interdisciplinary CLAC and FLAC programs that integrate language learning into other areas of study and career interest.
CLAC and FLAC Listings
For the complete list of CLAC designed programs, please visit the CLAC Consortium here.
FLAC designed programs can be found at:
Centers for International Business Education and Research (CIBERs)
CIBER programs emphasize interdisciplinary programs that incorporate language and international studies training into business, finance, management communications systems, and other professional curricula. Click here to view the full list of CIBER institutions.
Global Engineering Programs
Many schools have established Global Engineering programs in view of the global trends in the profession, and where proficiency in a language other than English and study abroad are mandatory or strongly encouraged. The American Society of Engineering Education identified proficiency in 2 or more languages as a key attribute of a globally-oriented engineer capable of effectively living, working, or performing in a global setting.
Global Engineering Listing
A few Global Engineering programs include:
The Language Flagship
A national initiative to change the way Americans learn languages, the Language Flagship offers undergraduate courses in critical languages including Arabic, Chinese, Hindi Urdu, Korean, Persian, Portuguese, Russian, Swahili, and Turkish. The 25 Flagship programs are located across 21 institutions of higher education and ten Overseas Flagship Centers. For a list of programs, visit thelanguageflagship.org.
Colleges For Foreign Language
See also the Choose Your Language pages for programs and opportunities specific to your language.