As computer and internet industry gain influence and market in Cambodia, several types of Khmer fonts have been developed as well, such as Khek font, Limon font, Zero-Space font, and many others just to name a few. Most of them were not developed by using Unicode or meet the guideline of the Unicode Standards. However, all of these fonts have been widely utilized with word processing, such as Word in Microsoft Office. Because many of these fonts were neither developed using Unicode Standards nor adopted by makers of World Wide Web (WWW) browsers, many Khmer fonts were not readable without special library drivers.
Phetsarath is a font for the Lao language, used in the Lao People's Democratic Republic. It was commissioned by the Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications of the national government. Also, this version has been comprised of fundamental statistical and graphics capabilities which is appropriate for the common consumer.
Laos Fonts For Mac. Kentucky Fried Chicken Font is a free and useful windows Kentucky Fried Chicken Font is a free and useful windows font. Free Saysettha OT font download. Saysetthaot.ttf Windows and Mac OS X compatible. TrueType and OpenType fonts available. Search for other Basic and Sans Serif fonts. Click on 'Fonts' In the 'File' menu, click on the heading 'Install new fonts' Find the place where you registered the font that you downloaded, then install. Finally, note that there exists software, which is only available for PC’s, which enables you to write Lao: LaoScript, incorporating numerous characters.
Khmer Unicode For Mac (OS X):
All Mac with OS X is built with Khmer Unicode ready; meaning that, you can write and read in Khmer without install Khmer font in your system. Follow the below steps
1 - Go to Top Left Corner and click on APPLE and select System Preferences
2 - Click on 'Language & Region'
3 - Click on 'Keyboard Preferences'
4 - Click Plus symbol '+'
5 - Scroll down to and select 'Khmer', then click 'Add'
6 - You should see this on Top Right Corner
Then, you can install fonts styles.
Khmer Unicode For Window Vista:
Microsoft Window Vista (32bit and 64 bit) comes with Khmer Unicode built-in, but required you to set it up in order to read Web page using Khmer Unicode or to write in Khmer Unicode properly. The keyboard layout is a little bit different from keyboard layout developed by NIDA. Example, to type, kra-bey (in khmer), firstly type 'K', then press 'Space' to reserve space for Jerng (or Chherng) and press 'R'. To space between character, hold 'Shift' and press 'Space'. Now, you should have kra. Download Khmer OS fonts from the right side and you will enjoy and have fun with all the fonts style and types.
- Download Instruction PDF file: How to Set Up Khmer Unicode on Your Window Vista (32-bit or 64-bit) (by Han So).
Khmer Software Initiative (KhmerOS), National Information Communications Technology Development Authority (NIDA), and Open Institute joined to create a project for developing OpenSource software that can accommodate Khmer Unicode-based fonts. Khmer Unicode is a part of their project, but it has not yet widely utilized or built-in as part internet browsers or software applications. It is, however, gradually becoming popular among users/developers in Cambodia. Khmer Unicode has been developed to use in platforms such as:
- OpenOffice (Word Processing),
- OpenSUSE (Linux based Operation System),
- Khmer Email Application (Thunderbird-based email application),
- Mekhala (FireFox-based Internet Browser)
Khmer Unicode For Window XP:
For MS Window XP, Khmer Unicode Keyboard (NIDA 1.0) driver is required. KhmerUnicode2.0.0.exe (developed by KhmerOS and NIDA) has both Khmer Unicode software and Khmer Unicode Keyboard (NIDA 1.0). Please follow the below instruction to download and install it. If you install the Khmer Unicode in your computer system correctly, you should be able at least to view the web site in Khmer via Mozilla FireFox, MS IE, Opera, and Safari. After installing it and you would like to see if you can read/view the page in Khmer Unicode, open your FireFox browser, and go to all these website http://www.cambodia.org/kh/buzz/, Radio Free Asia (http://www.rfa.org/khmer/), http://www.google.com.kh/(only in FireFox), http://km.wikipedia.org. To type in khmer, you are recommended to read the Instruction, 'Documents How to Write' and follow the Keyboard Layout.
If your MS Window XP has Service Pack 2 installed, you can view the pages of Radio Free Asia (http://www.rfa.org/khmer/) in Khmer via Internet Exploer 6.0 or higher. In this case, RFA utilizes WEFT to have the pages viewed in Khmer even without Khmer Unicode installed.
How to install Khmer Unicode (KhmerUnicode2.0.0.exe) on Your Window XP and Vista 32-bit (Click Khmer Unicode for Microsoft Window Vist 64-bit (x86))
- Download KhmerUnicode2.0.0.zip (version 2.0.0)
- Use a Zip softwares to Extract the KhmerUnicode2.0.0.zip
Double click on this KhmerUnicode2.0.0.exe icon
Click 'Next' as indicating by the arrow
Click 'Next' as indecating by the arrow
It may take minutes to wait...
At the bottom-corner of your computer screen, you should see this image that allow you to select either CA: Catalan or EN:English (United States) for Writing (Typing). For writing in Khmer, you need to select CA:Catalan.
How to type Khmer Unicode in English (PDF)
How to type Khmer Unicode in Khmer (PDF)
KkhmerOS Download Page
Khmer Fonts Using TrueType
If a computer system and/or software uses TrueType fonts, then Khek font as described below works perfectly.
- Khek font is developed by Khek Brothers, one of the earliest groups designing high quality Khmer fonts. Khek font was primarily made for use with Microsoft products running on Windows platform such as the various Windows versions from 3.x all the way to the current Vista. It also runs on Apple computers including Macintosh and the current family of iMacs. Khek font is the most popular among users in the United States and other oversea countries. Learn more
- Limon font and ABC Zero-Space font are traditional fonts developed using “Legacy Encodings”, which is not part Unicode Standards. These two fonts are free and can be downloaded on this page under download section.
Khmer OpenType by Microsoft
Microsoft created an OpenType font and has been supporting it as standard, while Apple created ATT. In 2004 the OpenType font was adopted and supported by Adobe. Font developers creating Khmer fonts can use OpenType standard. Learn more
Notes: This page does not focus on the technical parts of how Khmer fonts were created or the fundamentals of Khmer Unicode. But it does show how to utilize Khmer fonts and where to get Khmer fonts.
References and Khmer Fonts Resources:
This page does not focus on the technical part of how Khmer Fonts were created nor the fundamental of Khmer Unicode, but how to utilize Khmer font and where to get Khmer fonts. If you have any questions about the fonts here please feel free to send them too: , thank you.
Saysettha Lao Font For Mac
• Khmer Unicode
•Khmer Fonts Unicode
• Khmer Unicode for Window XP
• Documents How to Write
• Khmer Unicode for Window Vista
• Instruction to Set Up Khmer Unicode for Vista (PDF)
• Khmer Unicode Keyboard Layout
• NIDA Keyboard Layout (if you use KhmerUnicode2.0.0.zip. Mostlikely, when you are using Window XP)
• Vista Keyboard Layout
• Khmer Converter
Traditional Khmer Fonts
• Limon Fonts
• ABC Zero-Space Fonts
• Keyboard Layout for Limon Fonts
• Keyboard Layout for ABC Zero-Space
• KhmerOS Fonts - KhmerUnicode
• All KhmerOS fonts(V.5.0) (2.5 MB)
• Khmer OS (259 KB)
• Khmer OS System (258 KB)
• Khmer OS Moul (311 KB)
• Khmer OS Freehand (244 KB)
• Khmer OS Fasthand (232 KB)
• Khmer OS Metal Chrieng (226 KB)
• Khmer OS battambang (202 KB)
• KhmerOS bokor (209 KB)
• Khmer OS muol light (227 KB)
• Khmer OS muol pali (137 KB)
• Khmer OS siemreap (129 KB)
• Khmer OS content (195 KB)
Early Version Download:
To type Khmer fonts on the web, download the following:
- MS-Windows Khmer Fonts Package: File size ~141k
- Keyboard Template: File size ~150k
- KeyBind Program ver. 1.00 for MS-Windows: File size ~85k
- Mac Fonts: File size ~143k
- Mac Fonts (Binhexed): File size ~195k
For Mac, download the following:
Khmer Fonts Package for Windows, download the following:
Lao Fonts For Mac
- Khmer Fonts Package For Windows: File size ~441k
- Keyboard Template: File size ~350k
Laos Fonts For Mac
Thanks to tbun, we should finally have a working version of the Mac Font. Let me know if it doesn't work.