How to open SRT files. If you cannot open the SRT file on your computer - there may be several reasons. The first and most important reason (the most common) is the lack of a suitable software that supports SRT among those that are installed on your device. A very simple way to solve this problem is to find and download the appropriate application. SRT subtitle files are one option; you may also choose SRT closed captions, as well. Closed captions are the English version of subtitles & are used to display over English-language content. They are useful for those who are hard of hearing or learning to speak English as a.
How To Open Srt File On Pc
- File type:
How to open SRT file?
After double-clicking on the unknown file icon, the system should open it in the default software that supports it. If this does not happen, download and install the MPlayer software and then manually associate the file with it.
Step 1. Download and install MPlayer
If there is no MPlayer or similar software in the system that supports files with the SRT extension, you must first download and install it. Below you will find a list of the most-used applications that work with SRT. After going to the subpage of the program you will find a link to the developer's website, where you can safely download the software installer.
Programs that open files SRT
Step 2. Associate MPlayer with the SRT file extension
If the user already has one of the applications installed, the next step will be to associate it with the file extension SRT. This can be done in two ways - one is to manually edit the Windows Registry and HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT keys. The second way is simpler and definitely recommended for less advanced users.
- Right click on the unknown SRT file you want to open
- Select 'Open with' from the menu
- Click 'Choose another application'
- Click 'More applications'
- Click 'Find more applications on this PC' and indicate the installation location of the appropriate program
- Finally, select the 'Always use the selected program to open SRT files' option and confirm the whole operation.
Remember! Manually editing the system registry is only recommended for advanced users, and changes made to it without proper knowledge may result in damage to the system.
Step 3. Check out other possible problems related to SRT files.
How To Open Srt File On Windows
Sometimes it happens that despite having the right application and the correct configuration, there are still problems with opening the SRT files. You should then find out what is the reason of the problem.
How Do I Open Srt Files On Windows 10
- Check if the SRT file is not infected - When the file SRT is infected with a virus or malware, it probably will not be able to be opened correctly. In this case, scan the SRT file and take the actions recommended by the antivirus program installed on the system. Most often it is disinfection or deletion of an infected file.
- Check if you, as the operating system user, have appropriate permissions to work with the file SRT
- Check if the icon is an element of the correct file but not only a shortcut to the location where the SRT file no longer exists.
- Check that the system has the necessary resources to run the MPlayer application and open the SRT file.
- Check if the file is complete - Sometimes it happens that the SRT file was not copied completely from the external Flash memory, or downloaded from the Internet. When the file is incomplete, it is not possible to open it correctly. In this case, please download or copy the file SRT again.
Step 4. Contact an IT expert
When all of the above methods have failed, it remains to contact an IT specialist or developers of the MPLAYER program.