Charlie read a sports magazine. Or, more accurately, he held a sports magazine. He kept wondering what would become of Alice should he fail to deliver the ADM. For the rst time since takeo, Bream glanced back from the cockpit, taking in the sleeping Drummond. “Sorry there’s no in- ight movie,” the pilot said to Charlie. The following reviews are exclusive to our Web site, and most (if not all) will not appear in the printed version of Mystery News.We hope you enjoy them, and we thank our contributors for allowing us to share them with you on www.blackravenpress.com. Click here to return to the Mystery News home page.
Fright Directed byPeter Collinson Produced byHarry Fine Michael Style Written byTudor Gates StarringSusan George Honor Blackman Ian Bannen John Gregson Music byHarry Robinson CinematographyIan Wilson Edited byRaymond Poulton Production company Fantale Films Distributed byBritish Lion Films Release date November 1971 Running time 87 minutes CountryUnited Kingdom LanguageEnglish Fright is a 1971 British thriller film. Fright Favorites spotlights 31 essential Halloween-time films, their associated sequels and remakes, and recommendations to expand your seasonal repertoire based on your favorites. Featured titles include Nosferatu (1922), Dracula (1931), Cat People (1942), Them (1953), House on Haunted Hill (1959), Black Sunday (1960), Rosemary's Baby (1968), Young Frankenstein (1976), Beetlejuice (1988), Get Out. Television Fright Films of the 1970s book. Read 2 reviews from the world's largest community for readers. David Deal offers a reference to various made-f.
Any author will tell you that writing a novel involves research. In fact if you aren’t quick on your feet, they’re liable to corner you and tell you all the marvelous things they learned that were peripheral to their novel and so never got into the book.
Fright Storygraffiti Movies & Documentaries 2017
This has always been a problem for me when I write stories about people who aren’t like me, set in places far away or in the past, yadda oy. I do an immense amount of research; some would call it over-researching. Sometimes I think I’m just being insecure. Or maybe I’m being respectful and thorough.Yeah, that’s a good excuse.
For Walking On Sunshine, fourth and final book in the Slacker Demons series, I had four main characters, all of them very different from me, and three secondary characters from other cultures.
Baz was the easiest, as he was King Ashurbanipal—in the real world, a man who (we assume) has been dead for 2700 years. I got to make up stuff about him. I got most of it from Wikipedia, but there were some hoary textbooks available on Googlebooks, too.
Ashurbanipal, King of the Universe
I put this image on the backside of a lynx-fur coverlet.
Assyrian deities superimposed on the QBL Tree of Life (totally nuts but cool)
For Yoni I got to research the lives of famous rock stars and other celebrities who have crashed and burned—or who have, contrariwise, achieved spectacular success without destroying their lives.
For Sophie I got to look up stuff that the young and the jet-set do for fun, and tons of vulgar French expressions current among same.
For Veek, though, I amassed a motherlode of research. I can’t possibly tell it all to you here—for one thing, your back is to the exit, and for another, this cocktail party is way too short. Here are some of the topics and links that carried me off down the rabbit hole for months at a time.
This was an eye-opener: Did you know the US occupied Haiti for a while? Big mess.
The Haitian spelling for their own language. I used a fair bit of it, and consulted several sites and knowledgable persons. Here’s just one site:
Haitian & Haitian-American vodou
Just a sample of the sort of rabbit-hole that swallowed me up many times: the sacred twins.
Vodou burial practices
A proper vodou burial takes nine days, a point that shaped the pace and timing of Walking On Sunshine.
I also visited the exhibit on Haitian Vodou at the Field Museum last winter, a heartbreaking and uplifting experience I’d recommend to anyone who wants to learn more about the history of this religion. The exhibit was assembled from the Marianne Lehmann Vodou Collection, Port-au-Prince, Haiti. Lehmann, a Swiss-born collector married to a Haitian man, donated the entire collection to the people of Haiti, and also endowed the museum in Haiti where the collection normally lives.
The scent of sarsaparille features in two love scenes in this book.
French titles, and rules for passing a title from one generation to the next
Masses of images of the Petit Trianon!
Le Marais Poitevin
I grew up in a marshy part of Illinois—that is to say, most of the upper half of the state—and fell in love with the Marais Poitevin by long-distance.
Martin-pêcheur – a kingfisher found in the Marais Poitevin
Bird life on the Marais Poitevin
Flowers of the Marais Poitevin
Note, this is a PDF that must be downloaded to be viewed.
Grand houses on the Marais Poitevin
Rail bumming and graffiti
One of the coolest things I found? While researching how, during the Great Depression and at other times, homeless people traveled the western hemisphere using freight train lines, I ran across a site for kids who do graffiti on boxcars and the like. This was fascinating and alarming. I must have taken 30 pages of notes. Rail bumming was relevant to my story. Graffiti had nothing to do with it, of course. But if you go there, I bet you’ll get sucked in, as I did.
Okay, I have to stop now.
Have you put weeks into research that led you farther and farther away from your story—and into fascinating places?
Monster High is an American fashion doll franchise created by Mattel and launched in July 2010. The characters are inspired by monster movies, sci-fi horror, thriller fiction, and various other creatures. Mattel began releasing a number of animated direct-to-videos, some of which have been broadcast as television specials and films on Nickelodeon. In 2015, the series released a reboot and origin story called Welcome to Monster High, using new face molds and animation.
First-generation films (2010–2016)
|No. in series||Title||Director||Writer(s)||Runtime||Release date|
Broadcast date (Nick)
|1||Monster High: New Ghoul at School||Audu Paden, Eric Radomski||Anne D. Bernstein, Audu Paden, Lauren Rose, Ira Singerman||23m||October 30, 2010|
|2||Monster High: Fright On!||Audu Paden, Alfred Gimeno, Vic Dal Chele||Mike Montesano, Ted Zizik||46m||October 30, 2011 (Nick)|
|3||Monster High: Why Do Ghouls Fall in Love?||Steve Sacks, Dustin Mckenzie||Ted Zizik, Mike Montesano||46m||February 12, 2012 (Nick)|
February 5, 2013 (DVD pack)[a]
|4||Monster High: Escape from Skull Shores||Steve Ball, Andrew Duncan||Mike Montesano, Ted Zizik||46m||April 13, 2012 (Nick)|
|5||Monster High: Friday Night Frights||Dustin Mckenzie||46m||July 13, 2012|
February 5, 2013 (DVD pack)[a]
September 6, 2013 (Nick)
|6||Monster High: Ghouls Rule||Mike Fetterly, Steve Sacks||Ted Zizik, Mike Montesano||71m||October 9, 2012 (DVD)|
October 26, 2012 (Nick)
|7||Monster High: Scaris: City of Frights||Dustin Mckenzie||Mike Montesano, Ted Zizik||61m||March 3, 2013 (Nick)|
|8||Monster High: 13 Wishes||Steve Saches, Andrew Duncan, Audu Paden||73m||October 8, 2013 (DVD)|
October 25, 2013 (Nick)
|9||Monster High: Frights, Camera, Action!||William Lau, Sylvain Blais||Audu Paden, Dan Serafin||73m||March 25, 2014 (DVD)|
April 18, 2014 (Nick)
|4th direct-to-DVD release|
|10||Monster High: Freaky Fusion||William Lau, Sylvain Blais||Keith Wagner||73m||September 30, 2014 (DVD)|
October 24, 2014 (Nick)
|11||Monster High: Haunted||Dan Fraga, William Lau||Keith Wagner||75m||March 24, 2015 (DVD)|
April 17, 2015 (Nick)
|12||Monster High: Boo York, Boo York||William Lau||Keith Wagner||71m||September 29, 2015 (DVD)|
October 25, 2015 (Nick)
|13||Monster High: Great Scarrier Reef||William Lau, Jun Falkenstein||Nina Bargiel, Shane Amsterdam||71m||March 8, 2016 (Digital HD)|
March 22, 2016 (DVD)
Second-generation films (2016–2017)
In 2016, the series was rebooted with new character designs, origin stories and animation style.
|No. in series||Title||Director(s)||Writer(s)||Runtime||Release date|
Broadcast date (Nick)
|14||Welcome to Monster High||Stephen Donnelly, Olly Reid||Dana Starfield, Shane Amsterdam, Stephen Donnelly,||73m||August 27, 2016 (screening, DVD)|
|15||Monster High: Electrified||Avgousta Zourelidi, Jun Falkenstein, René Veilleux||Keith Wagner||71m||March 28, 2017 (DVD)|
April 13, 2017 (Nick)
- ^ abWhy Do Ghouls Fall in Love? and Friday Night Frights were released as a double feature on DVD on February 5, 2013
- ^ForeverMonsterHigh (October 26, 2011). 'Monster High: FRIGHT ON ~ Official Trailer'. Retrieved August 6, 2018 – via YouTube.
- ^'Nickelodeon's '10 Nights Of Fright' Treats Viewers To All-New Halloween-Themed Premieres, Beginning Friday, Oct. 21'. zap2it.com. October 11, 2011. Archived from the original on June 26, 2018. Retrieved August 6, 2018.
- ^ abcdefghij'Nickelodeon Specials'. The Futon Critic. Retrieved June 25, 2018.
- ^'Monster High Scares Up DVD and New Doll Line'. www.animationmagazine.net. Retrieved August 6, 2018.
- ^Monster High (January 13, 2013). 'Double Feature DVD - Friday Night Frights/Why Do Ghouls Fall in Love? - Monster High'. Retrieved August 6, 2018 – via YouTube.
- ^MonsterHighSchool (April 2, 2012). 'Monster High™ Escape From Skull Shores Trailer HD New Movie 2012'. Retrieved August 6, 2018 – via YouTube.
- ^'Image gallery for Monster High: Friday Night Frights (TV)'. FilmAffinity. Retrieved August 6, 2018.
- ^Monster High (October 1, 2012). 'Ghouls Rule! Extended Trailer - Monster High'. Retrieved August 6, 2018 – via YouTube.
- ^'Monster High: Ghouls Rule'. DVD Talk. Retrieved August 6, 2018.
- ^'Monster High: Scaris, City of Frights Blu-ray Review - High Def Digest'. bluray.highdefdigest.com. Retrieved June 25, 2018.
- ^'Monster High: 13 Wishes Blu-ray Review - High Def Digest'. bluray.highdefdigest.com. Retrieved June 25, 2018.
- ^'Monster High: Frights, Camera, Action! Blu-ray Review - High Def Digest'. bluray.highdefdigest.com. Retrieved June 25, 2018.
- ^'Draculaura leaves for Transvylvania in 'Monster High' teaser'. ew.com. Retrieved June 25, 2018.
- ^'Monster High™ Shines Spotlight on New 'Monster High™: Frights, Camera, Action!' DVD and Doll Playset'. Mattel Inc. Retrieved June 25, 2018.
- ^'Monster High: Freaky Fusion Blu-ray Review - High Def Digest'. bluray.highdefdigest.com. Retrieved June 25, 2018.
- ^ ab'From Universal Pictures Home Entertainment: MONSTER HIGH™: GREAT SCARRIER REEF'. www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved August 6, 2018.
- ^'Monster High: Great Scarrier Reef Blu-ray Review - High Def Digest'. bluray.highdefdigest.com. Retrieved June 25, 2018.
- ^'Monster High Getting reBOOt in 2016 « Pop Critica - Pop Critica'. pop-critica.com. Retrieved June 25, 2018.
- ^'Fathom Dates 'Welcome to Monster High' Screening'. www.animationmagazine.net. Retrieved August 6, 2018.
- ^'Monster High: Welcome to Monster High Blu-ray Review - High Def Digest'. bluray.highdefdigest.com. Retrieved June 25, 2018.
- ^'Monster High: Electrified Blu-ray Review - High Def Digest'. bluray.highdefdigest.com. Retrieved June 25, 2018.